The higher the UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) rating, the higher the level of protection from UVA and UVB rays.
According to the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), a garment with a UPF treatment must undergo 40 simulated launderings, withstand the equivalent of two years’ exposure to sunlight, and (for swimwear) be exposed to chlorinated water. Find more info on sun safety here.
40 to 50 UPF rating: Excellent protection
25 to 35 UPF rating: Very good protection
15 to 20 UPF rating: Good protection
CARVE DESIGNS HOLDEN ONE PIECE, $98
• 50+ UPF rating. Take on high dives, wave riding and snorkel sessions in this sleek one-shoulder style. Built in shelf bra for support with removable chest pads.
CARVE DESIGNS SUNSET LONG SLEEVED, $54
• 50+ UPF rating. Bring a bit of laid-back summer style to your SUP, surf or beach session. The UPF rating and the semi-fitted silhouette keeps your skin happy on super sunny days and is flexible enough for whatever you feel like getting up to.
MEC HOMEWATERS LONG SLEEVE RASH GUARD, $54
• 50+ UPF rating. The stretch fabric offers a range of motion and next-to-body fit that doesn’t detract from the activity at hand and Long sleeves keep you paddling, surfing or swimming while the sun is high.
TOAD&CO GEMMA DRESS, $86
• 40+ UPF rating. The blended fabric shrugs off wrinkles, handles the heat and is easily dressed up or down. The cut has plenty of movement and stretch for sightseeing, and the wide straps cover your bra nicely.
PRANA LORELEI SUN TOP, $74
• ~20 UPF rating. Use it as a cover-up, a rashguard, or a beach party shirt. It’s quick-drying, so it’s an obvious option when waves, docks or floating is on your schedule.
LEVEL SIX VENUS LONG SLEEVE RASHGUARD, $54
• 50+ UPF rating. Stretchy sun protection that moves with you as you paddle and dive. The little loop at the front hem lets you attach it to your boardshorts, and keeps your top in place if you take a dip.
OCEAN FOLK NOOTKA BIKINI TOP, $59 and OCEAN FOLK PACHENA SURF CROP TOP, $59
• 50+ UPF rating. Made and designed in Canada. Made of eco-polyester and elastane, the fabric uses 70% less water, 70% less heat and 70% less energy than other polyester fabrics.
AQUA SPHERE SISKIN SWIMSUIT, $75
• 50+ UPF rating. The fabric resists chlorine as well as sunscreen, so it’s good for outdoor swimming and regular pool training.
LEVEL SIX SOMBRIO NEOPRENE SUP JACKET, $149
• 50+ UPF rating. For colder, wetter days, this full-zip jacket is designed to move with you as you paddle your board out through the fog.
LEVEL SIX SOMBRIO LONG SLEEVE NEOPRENE RASHGUARD, $95
• 50+ UPF rating. For summer surfing or paddling, the lined neoprene fabric wicks moisture and allows your skin to breathe.
SALOMON ELEVATE 3/4 TIGHT, $90
• 50 UPF rating. Sprints, sun salutations or weighted squats, these 3/4-length performance tights have UPF 50 protection woven in so you’re ready for sun. The fast-drying, stretch fabric keeps you geared up to sweat.
MEC OVERLOOK SHORT and LONG SLEEVED SHIRT, $56 and $65
• 40 UPF rating. Wear it hiking, stuff it in your pack for travel or pair it with jeans for laid back moments. The casual chambray style conceals its technical mojo: wicking, breathable, UV-rated and light.
OUTDOOR RESEARCH ENSENADA SUN HOODY, $80
• 50+ UPF rating. Fabric wicks, dries fast and packs up compactly. It’s rounded out with a hood, pockets, and thumb loops to keep everything in place.
OUTDOOR RESEARCH WAYWARD LONG SLEEVE SHIRT, $76
• 50+ UPF rating. Modern design and stealth pockets suit trekking, travel and racing the sunrise to the top of the mountain.
XCEL VENTX LONG SLEEVE SUNGUARD TOP, $59
40+ UPF rating. Made for performance paddlers, dragon boaters and athletes working it hard. It’s lightweight, quick-drying and breathable, and the relaxed t-shirt fit makes it comfortable to wear on the shore.
XCEL KEWALOS SHORT SLEEVE SUNGUARD TOP, $39
40+ UPF rating. This snug but comfortable sun shirt meet the industry’s highest UV protection rating, doesn’t ride up, and is stretchy so you can keep paddle, swim or reach out on your SUP.
PACKTOWL ROBETOWL PERSONAL TOWEL, $79.50
• Made of quick-dry, super-absorbent Packtowl material that‘s soft and ultra-absorbent.
ALITE DESIGNS MEADOW MAT, $45
• This packable waterproof mat has your days, nights, and seats covered, and it’s nice-looking to boot. Unroll it for a dry place to sit on dewy mornings or put it under your tent as protection against wet or rocky ground.
ALITE DESIGNS MEADOW REST CHAIR, $70
• Sit back and relax at sandcastle-height with this waterproof chair/blanket hybrid.
Made for desert exploration and week-long wilderness adventures, this cooler can keep your goods cold for over a week.
MOUNTAINSMITH THE SIXER COOLER HEMP, $30
• Eco-friendly hemp exterior and a waterproof and insulated interior, this cooler keeps your refreshments cool throughout the day.
ALITE DESIGNS BUCKET COOLER, $68
• Fits 10 drinks. Mesh zipper pouch in the lid stores plates and utensils high and dry above the ice.
BAREBONES EXPLORER COOLER, $150
• Keeps 36 canned drinks or BBQ supplies cool for up to 2 days, which makes it great for road trips to the lake or long weekend camping.
MEC CANDEM DRY DUFFLE BAG, $119-$149
• Great for packing out wet gear or ensuring your kit stays dry. The polyester fabric is laminated to keep out rain or water if your duffle gets dunked.
MEC DRY SLEEVE, $14-$19
• A highly logical choice for protecting phones or tablet computers in hostile environments. Transparent panels on both sides let you operate cameras and touchscreens.
PELICAN 1030 MICRO CASE, $27
• Perfect for storing phones, GPS units, radios, etc. It is waterproof, dustproof, and crush-resistant, and has an automatic purge valve to accommodate pressure changes caused by changes in altitude or weather systems.
The Ciele Athletics Gocap is equipped with +40 UPF protection, reflective detailing on the front and back and is made of COOLwick™ fast-drying fabric.
SALOMON CROSSAMPHIBIAN AMPHIBOUS SHOES (men and women), $149
Comfortable like your running shoes, but with gecko-like grip on wet surfaces. The close-fitting mesh upper dries fast and keeps debris from getting in. Great for humid hikes, beach walks, canoeing or stand-up paddling.
ASTRAL MARY JAY SHOES, $99
ASTRAL RASSLER SHOES, $149
Ankle-cut river shoes for life lived near water. Level midsoles and rockered toes give you balance on sharp rocks or slippery banks. Super grippy soles increase traction if you happen to find yourself skating on a layer of rock snot. A drainage system in the sidewall sluices out water and prevents puddling inside your shoes.
All our kids watersports clothing has a UPF rating of 50+.
BAREBONES FOREST LED RECHARGEABLE LANTERN, $100
• When the sun goes down, these keep the mood light. USB output keeps your phone fully charged. Infinite adjustment from 1 to 325 lumens covers every situation.
OUTDOOR TECHNOLOGY TURTLE SHELL 2.0 WIRELESS SPEAKER, $89
• Nothing short of immersion will make the music die from this hardy speaker. It works up to 9 metres from your Bluetooth device, doubles as a speaker-phone, and runs 16 hours on a charge.